Vrksasana Yoga Pose of the Week!
Also Known As Tree Pose
What does it mean?
vrksa = tree
How do you do it?
1. Starting in Tadasana notice how the weight is distributed to all four corners of the feet equally.
2. Begin to shift your weight to left foot while placing left hand on left hip.
3. Bend your right knee and with your right hand grab a hold of right ankle placing it on either left upper inner thigh or left inner calf. Avoid placing right foot directly on left knee.
4. Bring hands in prayer postion in front of your heart. Square both hips toward the front.
5. Find your Drishti that focus point that doesn’t move to help keep your balance.
6. On the Inhale slowly begin to bring the hands up over your head. Challenge your balance by opening the hands and swaying them from side to side.
7. Exhale close the hands back in prayer position and slowly guide them back down in front of the heart.
8. Release leg and repeat on other side.
- Strengthens thighs, calves, ankles, and spine
- Stretches the groins and inner thighs, chest and shoulders
- Improves sense of balance
- Relieves sciatica and reduces flat feet